Re: [perl #113974] package NAMESPACE manpage comments

From:
Jesse Luehrs
Date:
Re: [perl #113974] package NAMESPACE manpage comments
Message ID:
20120706002235.GB30375@tozt.net
On Thu, Jul 05, 2012 at 08:18:47PM -0400, David Golden wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 5, 2012 at 7:03 PM, Father Chrysostomos via RT
> <perlbug-followup@perl.org> wrote:
> > ‘our’ could certainly be documented better.  Somewhere we need to state
> > it nice and clearly like this:
> >
> > C<our> makes a lexical alias to a package variable.
>
> Good way to put it.
>
> In commit 66b3001, I've adapted that and tried to clarify
> documentation for 'our'.
>
> In commit 4d457ce, I have removed "obsolete" from the abstract for
> vars.pm and instead added a phrase in the first paragraph that uses
> the term 'discouraged' and clarifies that it is discouraged for use
> within a single scope. I think that better limits *when* vars.pm is
> discouraged, as the rest of the documentation explains the scoping of
> vars.pm and use with Self/AutoLoad, for which it may indeed be
> appropriate.
>
> In commit 4dd9551, I clarified the 'package' documentation to refer to
> 'lexically-scoped' variables rather than 'lexical' variables, which
> might alleviate some confusion (short of documentation-wide fixes to
> the confusing term 'dynamic').
>
> Ricardo and I apparently also collided on some other commits to
> clarify vars.pm behavior (which is across even file-scope) and once he
> integrates his commits, collectively, I think these all are sufficient
> to close this ticket.

Not quite - we still need to fix "dynamic variables", and decide whether
multiple 'our' declarations in the same scope should warn, like 'my'
declarations do.

-doy