Re: [perl #113786] Patch for Porting/todo.pod task, refactor test touse test.lib

From:
Nicholas Clark
Date:
Re: [perl #113786] Patch for Porting/todo.pod task, refactor test touse test.lib
Message ID:
20120703162958.GU9069@plum.flirble.org
On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 08:21:23PM -0700, Colin Kuskie wrote:
> Attached is an updated patch with like instead of ok( && ), and I used
> done_testing(), too.

Thanks, applied as ce6d40e02d52b915.

I tweaked the commit message to

    Refactor t/op/splice.t to use t/test.pl instead of making TAP by hand.

> As I go through the tests, I'm finding things I'd like to chat about,
> for example, op/qq.t has a special is() to help with debugging.
> Are those kinds questions best sent to p5p?

Yes, I think so. I hope some of the other subscribers might also offer
feedback when relevant.

I suspect that t/op/qq.t probably shouldn't be converted to use t/test.pl,
as it's written in an intentionally convoluted style to avoid "" for
running the actual tests. t/test.pl will assume that "" works just fine,
which means that if something does introduce a bug in "", anything using
t/test.pl won't report errors sanely.

t/op/qq.t may not be the only one like that. t/op/concat.t also looks to
be written to avoid assuming that the very thing that it's testing is working.

Are you the same Colin Kuskie as ckuskie@cadence.com, who submitted some
patches in 1999? Or is it a popular name? :-)

Nicholas Clark