[perl #109408] Documentation that refers to Perl 5 as new

From:
Father Chrysostomos via RT
Date:
June 27, 2012 09:20
Subject:
[perl #109408] Documentation that refers to Perl 5 as new
Message ID:
rt-3.6.HEAD-28836-1340814017-146.109408-15-0@perl.org
On Tue Jan 31 19:20:06 2012, Hugmeir wrote:

> https://github.com/Hugmeir/utf8mess/tree/pod-109408
>
> So.
> I more or less went ahead and did this, to some extent.

Thank you.  I’ve applied this and merged it as 598798734, except for one
part of perluniintro, where you deleted a paragraph about :locale that
is still true.

> There's only one big deletion, which was most of perltrap.pod -- It
> dealt
> with traps for Perl 4 programmers migrating to Perl 5. It would be
> really
> swell if someone could update perltrap for their other favorite
> language of
> choice, since right now the document is severely lacking, only dealing
> with
> awk, shell, C/C++, and Perl itself.

Tom, may we steal the perl traps from Camel 4?  (If so, we will need the
latest version, not what is already in this ticket.)

> Also, there's this note on perlre:
>
> As of 5.005, C<$&> is not so costly as the other two.
>

> Anyone knows if this is still true?

I don’t think it is.

> As a bit of a warning to anyone following from home, I regen'd
> known_pod_issues.dat, so don't fall for the lie of the passing
> podcheck.t:
> perlsec and perltrap fail. I probably left an open =over somewhere, or
> sosuch; Haven't really looked into it yet.

Even fixing errors (removing long verbatim lines, in this case) requires
a regen.

--

Father Chrysostomos

---