[perl #112856] Exporter POD unclear, require_version sub and Module Version Checking

From:
Father Chrysostomos via RT
Date:
June 23, 2012 06:40
Subject:
[perl #112856] Exporter POD unclear, require_version sub and Module Version Checking
Message ID:
rt-3.6.HEAD-5009-1340458796-767.112856-15-0@perl.org
On Fri May 11 09:07:22 2012, bulk88 wrote:
> On Fri May 11 08:37:51 2012, sprout wrote:
> > This was changed eleven years ago in commit 22b4675c82b54.  Apparently
> > the documentation was never updated to match.
> >
> > Also, I don’t understand why it was not done in a more
> > backward-compatible way.  It’s far too late to fix that now.
> >
> Can someone fix the POD then and mention in the POD that require_version
> isn't called anymore by Exporter and Mod authors are encouraged to
> delete their require_version subs if they haven't done so? 11 years of a
> redundant feature not working and nobody (I think, someone else check)
> reporting it, I dont think it worth making work at this point. VERSION
> is more proper anyways since its used by perl core and Exporter. I ran
> into this bad POD and it kept me wondering until I read the code if I
> really need to define a sub require_version in addition to a sub
> VERSION. Now the answer is no.

I have fixed it not to mention require_version at all, since no one
seems to be using it.  See commit 1c0201fc087c.

--

Father Chrysostomos

---
via perlbug:  queue: perl5 status: open