Re: for inclusion in core: Config::Perl::V

From:
Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason
Date:
June 19, 2012 03:21
Re: for inclusion in core: Config::Perl::V
Message ID:
CACBZZX59Xcq5boonqxE89+rqmp7UT6q+6JHzL1++S9cR+ZvGgA@mail.gmail.com
On Mon, Jun 18, 2012 at 7:55 PM, David Golden <xdaveg@gmail.com> wrote:

> For smokers, we really need a module that works on current and
> historical perl's to give the most complete view of the
> configuration of the perl.

So the CPAN module is designed to support legacy perl versions, but
whatever we put into core use some new Config::* functions to get the
same data.

So either the intent is that for older versions of perl you'd use the
Config::Perl::V that comes with a newer version of perl to parse the
versions of old perls, or if this is going to be dual-lifed we'd be
including parsing code which would never be used with any perl it
would ship with (because it's also used for older perls that install
it from the CPAN).

Since the smokers are likely to need to install this from the CPAN
anyway for older perls wouldn't it make more sense not to put this in
core, and instead just make sure we have the relevant Config::*
plumbing needed to write modules like this?

I'm all for having an easy perl-level interface to "perl -V" in the
core, I'm just not clear on how importing a module that shells out and
parser "perl -V" with the core if we have APIs that expose the same
information will lead to anything but shipping dead code with the core
for no reason.