Re: for inclusion in core: Config::Perl::V

From:
H.Merijn Brand
Date:
June 18, 2012 23:19
Re: for inclusion in core: Config::Perl::V
Message ID:
20120619081946.29bd14bb@pc09.procura.nl
On Mon, 18 Jun 2012 19:04:11 +0100, Nicholas Clark <nick@ccl4.org>
wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 18, 2012 at 01:55:31PM -0400, David Golden wrote:
> > On Mon, Jun 18, 2012 at 1:50 PM, Nicholas Clark <nick@ccl4.org> wrote:
> > > But for current and future perls, I *really* don't think that we should be
> > > adding a module that shells out to the current Perl. The entire output of
> > > perl -V is now generated *in Perl space* by Config::_V. Most of the values
> > > needed already exposed by public subroutines in Config, such as
> > > Config::compile_date(). I think that the correct approach is to expose
> > > whatever else is needed, and have Config::Perl::V avoid shelling out if it
> > > doesn't need to.
> >
> > At the time it was written a couple years ago, I believe there was no
> > perl-space access to certain values compiled in, which is why Tux
> > wrote it in the first place at the request of CPAN Testers.  For
> > smokers, we really need a module that works on current and historical
> > perl's to give the most complete view of the configuration of the
> > perl.  I fully support replacing the shell-out code for modern perls
> > that don't need it, but the module will still need to shell out for
> > legacy perls regardless.
>
> Yes, sorry, wasn't clear. I should have been clearer that I realise that
> we have to do that for "non-current [Pp]erl". It's pretty useless without
> it.

I will see how to replace shelling out with Config::_V when possible

using perl5.00307 .. 5.14   porting perl5 on HP-UX, AIX, and openSUSE