Re: for inclusion in core: Config::Perl::V

From:
Nicholas Clark
Date:
June 18, 2012 11:04
Re: for inclusion in core: Config::Perl::V
Message ID:
20120618180411.GL9069@plum.flirble.org
On Mon, Jun 18, 2012 at 01:55:31PM -0400, David Golden wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 18, 2012 at 1:50 PM, Nicholas Clark <nick@ccl4.org> wrote:
> > But for current and future perls, I *really* don't think that we should be
> > adding a module that shells out to the current Perl. The entire output of
> > perl -V is now generated *in Perl space* by Config::_V. Most of the values
> > needed already exposed by public subroutines in Config, such as
> > Config::compile_date(). I think that the correct approach is to expose
> > whatever else is needed, and have Config::Perl::V avoid shelling out if it
> > doesn't need to.
>
> At the time it was written a couple years ago, I believe there was no
> perl-space access to certain values compiled in, which is why Tux
> wrote it in the first place at the request of CPAN Testers.  For
> smokers, we really need a module that works on current and historical
> perl's to give the most complete view of the configuration of the
> perl.  I fully support replacing the shell-out code for modern perls
> that don't need it, but the module will still need to shell out for
> legacy perls regardless.

Yes, sorry, wasn't clear. I should have been clearer that I realise that
we have to do that for "non-current [Pp]erl". It's pretty useless without
it.

Nicholas Clark