Re: for inclusion in core: Config::Perl::V

From:
David Golden
Date:
June 18, 2012 10:56
Re: for inclusion in core: Config::Perl::V
Message ID:
CAOeq1c-qt_yn8bBkMQAqJ9NgpKj8YNwGYwfzFLaXqZfEi5SY5w@mail.gmail.com
On Mon, Jun 18, 2012 at 1:50 PM, Nicholas Clark <nick@ccl4.org> wrote:
> But for current and future perls, I *really* don't think that we should be
> adding a module that shells out to the current Perl. The entire output of
> perl -V is now generated *in Perl space* by Config::_V. Most of the values
> needed already exposed by public subroutines in Config, such as
> Config::compile_date(). I think that the correct approach is to expose
> whatever else is needed, and have Config::Perl::V avoid shelling out if it
> doesn't need to.

At the time it was written a couple years ago, I believe there was no
perl-space access to certain values compiled in, which is why Tux
wrote it in the first place at the request of CPAN Testers.  For
smokers, we really need a module that works on current and historical
perl's to give the most complete view of the configuration of the
perl.  I fully support replacing the shell-out code for modern perls
that don't need it, but the module will still need to shell out for
legacy perls regardless.

-- David