Re: perlcheat

From:
Juerd Waalboer
Date:
June 11, 2012 01:32
Re: perlcheat
Message ID:
20120611063859.GI8279@k
H.Merijn Brand skribis 2011-06-14 14:36 (+0200):
> >   http://tux.nl/Files/PerlCheat.png

It's fine, except for a few tiny things:

- The sections "SCALAR through global BLOB" and "CONFIGURATION" are much
  too specific for this cheat sheet.

- The section "DEBUG" is indented; why?

- The meaning of "-d##" isn't made clear. It may not even be clear to
  some readers that ## could be a number. Since it's entirely useless
  without its own cheatsheet of flags or numbers, perhaps just remove
  it.

- Columns should be separated with TWO spaces; "SYNTAX" currently
  touches "OPERATOR PRECEDENCE" because "~~" was added. There's room to
  move things one character to the right.

- I've received one email about "(?&NM) cap to name" which isn't clear.
  I agree: a named capture is "(?<>)" or "(?'')", so what's "cap to
  name" exactly? "(?&)" would be recurse to name. And "\K" imo deserves
  its own entry. Suggested:

    (?<n>p) named capture
    \g{n}   ref to named cap
    \K      keep left part

- I'm not fond of the uppercase "NM", or "NM" at all, which to me reads
  as "never mind". Since "name" is already in the description part, I
  think "n" (lower case, please) would suffice.

- Please note that the "LINKS" sections were used as fillers and are
  really not that important. Especially now that there are competing
  sites like metacpan versus search.cpan, perhaps it's better to just
  leave the links out.

- Why was the list of possible "SCALAR VALUES" omitted? In my opinion,
  it makes sense to have this list as it gives an idea of what to
  expect.

- Another addition, perhaps for where the links are now, could be:

    FALSE
    undef, "",
    0, "0"

    TRUE
    anything else
--
Met vriendelijke groet, // Kind regards, // Korajn salutojn,

Juerd Waalboer  <juerd@tnx.nl>
TNX