Re: MSWin32-x86-multi-thread-64int for perl-5.18 ?

From:
Steve Hay
Date:
June 9, 2012 10:17
Re: MSWin32-x86-multi-thread-64int for perl-5.18 ?
Message ID:
CADED=K5F61h5ct-0Q7oXn7cr9rioth4h4gEgXN5H7UsoFergaw@mail.gmail.com
On 29 May 2012 02:54, Sisyphus <sisyphus1@optusnet.com.au> wrote:

> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Steve Hay" <Steve.Hay@verosoftware.com>
>

>> Sorry, I had meant to respond to this.
>>
>> I'm happy to see this functionality added, but I don't like the
>> proliferation of "canned config" files that we're accumulating now
>> because it makes it increasingly laborious to keep them all up to date.
>

> I've nothing against the use of a better option.
>

>> There is some facility in win32/config_sh.PL and win32/config_h.PL for
>> editing the options in config files already and I would like to see this
>> improved as necessary and made use of. I'm willing to look into this
>> myself if you can wait a little while for these options?
>

> There's no hurry - I think kmx is also going to take a look at what can be
> done when he gets the time (which he doesn't have, right now).
> Anything *you* (or anyone else) can come up with, would be greatly
> appreciated.
>
> We just need a way of setting the appropriate config.gc and config_H.gc
> values for the following various build options:
> 1) Those options currently provided by the existing canned config files;
> 2) The -Duse64bitint option for 32-bit perls;
> 3) The dbm, gdbm and ndbm options (that Strawberry Perl currently sets - by
> patching config.gc and config_H.gc).
>
> I guess we also want to be able to readily accommodate future developments
> (eg someone might one day provide -Duselongdouble settings), and anything
> else I've overlooked.

I've started work on this with commit 7bef440cec, which does away with
the *.gc64nox canned configs, and instead edits the *.gc64 canned
configs based on the GCCCROSS setting in the makefile.mk

Please take a look and confirm that I've not broken anything. I've
just tested with the compiler taken from the "Win64 Downloads" link on
http://mingw-w64.sourceforge.net/ (x86_64-w64-mingw32-gcc.exe, version
4.7.0) and it works for me, albeit with a couple of test failures
which I also had before my changes. I think part of that is the
xcopies near the end of makefile.mk are looking in the wrong place for
DLLs to copy into t/, the DLLs in my case being in $(CCHOME)\lib
rather than $(CCHOME)\bin. I will also look into that in due course,
but now plan on addressing your 64-bit int config with a new macro in
makefile.mk...

I might also remove the *.[gv]c64 files and dynamically apply changes
to the *.[gv]c files instead, based on the WIN64 setting.