develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from May 2012

Re: MSWin32-x86-multi-thread-64int for perl-5.18 ?

From:
Sisyphus
Date:
May 28, 2012 18:55
Re: MSWin32-x86-multi-thread-64int for perl-5.18 ?
Message ID:
15089132A85E4A348AC350A675BC06FD@desktop2

----- Original Message -----
From: "Steve Hay" <Steve.Hay@verosoftware.com>

> Sorry, I had meant to respond to this.
>
> I'm happy to see this functionality added, but I don't like the
> proliferation of "canned config" files that we're accumulating now
> because it makes it increasingly laborious to keep them all up to date.

I've nothing against the use of a better option.

> There is some facility in win32/config_sh.PL and win32/config_h.PL for
> editing the options in config files already and I would like to see this
> improved as necessary and made use of. I'm willing to look into this
> myself if you can wait a little while for these options?

There's no hurry - I think kmx is also going to take a look at what can be
done when he gets the time (which he doesn't have, right now).
Anything *you* (or anyone else) can come up with, would be greatly
appreciated.

We just need a way of setting the appropriate config.gc and config_H.gc
values for the following various build options:
1) Those options currently provided by the existing canned config files;
2) The -Duse64bitint option for 32-bit perls;
3) The dbm, gdbm and ndbm options (that Strawberry Perl currently sets - by
patching config.gc and config_H.gc).

I guess we also want to be able to readily accommodate future developments
(eg someone might one day provide -Duselongdouble settings), and anything
else I've overlooked.

Cheers,
Rob