develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from May 2012

DAVEM TPF bug-grant report #116

From:
Dave Mitchell
Date:
May 28, 2012 05:03
Subject:
DAVEM TPF bug-grant report #116
Message ID:
20120528120247.GA3427@iabyn.com
Spent the week finishing off paren handling within nested and recursive
(??{})'s. With this complete, the main work on fixing regex code blocks is
complete. I still have a whole bunch of loose ends to tie up (e.g. seeing
if -Dmad has been broken, updating docs, perldeltas etc), and of course
checking whether my work actually resolves the big list of tickets
attached to the meta ticket. Once that's done, the code can be merged back
into blead. I also have a big list of things to do which don't actually
affect the buggy-behaviour of (?{}), but which is stuff I've noted along
the way to do later, such as efficiency improvements, code refactoring
etc.

While examining the paren handling code, I noticed that there were some
problems with $^N and $+ (lastcloseparen and lastparen), which weren't
being set or restored properly with certain types of backtracking. In
particular, for the following tests added to re/re_tests:

# pat	string	y/n/etc	expr	expected-expr	skip-reason
# BRANCH
^(.)(?:(..)|B)[CX]	ABCDE	y	$^N-$+	A-A	-
# TRIE
^(.)(?:BC(.)|B)[CX]	ABCDE	y	$^N-$+	A-A	-
# CURLYX
^(.)(?:(.)+)*[BX]	ABCDE	y	$^N-$+	A-A	-
# CURLYM
^(.)(BC)*	ABCDE	y	$^N-$+	BC-BC	-
^(.)(BC)*[BX]	ABCDE	y	$^N-$+	A-A	-
# CURLYN
^(.)(B)*.[DX]	ABCDE	y	$^N-$+	B-B	-
^(.)(B)*.[CX]	ABCDE	y	$^N-$+	A-A	-

they all fail on 5.17.0 except the CURLYX and the first CURLYN, but all
pass on my branch.

Report for period 2012/05/21 to 2012/05/27 inclusive

SUMMARY
-------

    Effort (HH::MM):

        0:00 diagnosing bugs
       28:46 fixing bugs
        0:00 reviewing other people's bug fixes
        0:00 reviewing ticket histories
        0:00 review the ticket queue (triage)
       -----
       28:46 TOTAL

    Numbers of tickets closed:

           0 tickets closed that have been worked on
           0 tickets closed related to bugs that have been fixed
           0 tickets closed that were reviewed but not worked on (triage)
       -----
           0 TOTAL

DETAIL
------

[perl #34161] METABUG - (?{...}) and (??{...}) regexp issues

    2012/05/21	7:00 fix

    2012/05/22	0:46 fix

    2012/05/23	6:00 fix

    2012/05/24	1:45 fix