develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from May 2012

[perl #29939] threads::shared use of XSLoader breaks Devel::DProf

From:
Father Chrysostomos via RT
Date:
May 26, 2012 19:08
Subject:
[perl #29939] threads::shared use of XSLoader breaks Devel::DProf
Message ID:
rt-3.6.HEAD-7788-1338084530-377.29939-15-0@perl.org
On Sat May 26 18:55:06 2012, jkeenan wrote:
> On Sun May 30 15:39:00 2004, davem@iabyn.com wrote:
> > On Fri, May 28, 2004 at 11:07:28PM -0000, Norbert wrote:
> > > I can't run the Devel::DProf profiler on any script that uses
> > > threads/shared.pm, because that lib loads itself using
> > > XSLoader::load().  This function is written such that it bumps
> > > up against a DProf bug, whereby it chokes on subroutines that
> > > end with a last, goto, or next.
> > (snip)
> > > I suppose that if this problem is going to be fixed in DProf
> > > then this is just a duplicate bug, but I would suggest that
> > > this issue increases the severity, since the major question
> > > marks about ithreads seems to revolve around memory usage,
> > > which DProf is useful for checking.
> >
> > Thanks for the report. yes, this does seem to be the same problem.
> >
> > P5Pers: the root problem seems to be that whenever pp_entersub is
invoked,
> > it calls DB::sub rather than the the real sub, and it is left to DB::sub
> > to then invoke the real sub, which can be tricky when that real sub
may do
> > various stuff that will unwind the CX stack (like goto &foo, last, die).
> >
> > I'd have thought a better way would be to provide an additional C-level
> > hook that gets called by entersub before it (ie entersub) then
proceeds to
> > call the real sub as usual.
> >
> > I havn't looked into this closely, though. I'm hoping someone with some
> > more experience in this area might comment.
> >
> > Dave.
> >

> Discussion in this RT petered out eight years ago, and Devel::DProf was
> removed from the Perl core distribution with Perl 5.15.9.
>
> How should we handle this ticket?

I sounds to me as though the perl core might require some fixing.  So
someone needs to look into it at some point.  So I suggest we leave it open.

--

Father Chrysostomos

---
via perlbug:  queue: perl5 status: open