develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from May 2012

Re: Objects without stashes?

From:
Leon Timmermans
Date:
May 25, 2012 11:17
Re: Objects without stashes?
Message ID:
CAHhgV8h51cK4+WJaSuo0eWxQqMbpt+B54FK3NVYvTNORC_5ucw@mail.gmail.com
On Fri, May 25, 2012 at 5:41 PM, Aristotle Pagaltzis <pagaltzis@gmx.de> wrote:
> How do things get into the vtable? What syntax is provided, how does it
> interoperate or interact with the traditional approach of writing subs
> in a package?

I don't intend any current code to have different semantics, the
default vtable will do the whole stashes dance the way we're used to.
Other object implementations may have other ideas. For example a mop
could use something simpler than the stashes-with-globs. Or maybe
someone writes a nice prototype based OO system. Possibilities are
endless.

> Do you break every single line of meta-programming code in
> Perl ever written? Do you half break it? Or do you try somehow to make
> this change transparent? How much does that limit you?

Anything that uses the old behavior will keep working exactly the
same. Though trying to use stash based introspection on non stash
based objects wouldn't work obviously. I'm sure we can deal with that
somehow, but that seems bike-shedding for now.

> Or am I misunderstanding – is all you want a pure implementation detail?
> (I.e. what continues to look like a package to Perl code is implemented
> using vtables underneath so that it’s easier to code against.)

Nothing should change for anything that exists now.

Leon