develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from April 2012

[perl #8345] enhancement to h2xs

From:
James E Keenan via RT
Date:
April 21, 2012 20:00
Subject:
[perl #8345] enhancement to h2xs
Message ID:
rt-3.6.HEAD-4610-1335063597-1402.8345-15-0@perl.org
On Fri Jan 25 20:37:38 2002, penguipotamous@yahoo.com wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I am using Perl 5.7.2 development version downloaded a week ago.
>
> This is more a functionality increase than a bug, patch file attached,
> particularly:
>
> added a PERLH2XS environment variable to point to either a file or
> directory
> to contain a preferences file for the AUTHOR, EMAIL, COPYRIGHT, and
> LICENSE
> information, limited to this list of keywords.  Default filenames for
> the
> preferences file are .h2xsrc (unixes for example) or h2xs.ini for
> dos/windows/vms.  directories are checked in order of PERLH2XS, HOME,
> or
> LOGDIR environment variable directories -- swiped this part pretty
> well
> straight out of perl5db.pl (Randal's suggestion).  Updated the POD
> documentation also.  Additionally changed the ||= operator for $author
> to the
> ternary operator, so now it does find my name out by looking it up on
> the
> system if there is no dot file.
>
> I do not have access to very many types of operating systems, but it
> appears
> to work correctly on my linux laptop.  I did not do anything
> especially
> scary, so it should generally work okay.
>
> Thanks,
>
> David Martin
> penguipotamous@yahoo.com

This patch was submitted ten years ago but doesn't seem to have
attracted much support.  Moreover, in this period we have seen the
creation of two command-line utilities, modulemaker and module-starter
(associated with ExtUtils::ModuleMaker and Module::Starter,
respectively) which accomplish much of what David Martin was aiming at.

I think we should reject the patch -- but since I'm the maintainer of
ExtUtils::ModuleMaker on CPAN, I'm not unbiased about this.  What do
other people say?

Thank you very much.
Jim Keenan

---