[perl #24250] "return" required in some anonymous closures

From:
James E Keenan via RT
Date:
March 30, 2012 18:15
Subject:
[perl #24250] "return" required in some anonymous closures
Message ID:
rt-3.6.HEAD-4610-1333156513-851.24250-15-0@perl.org
On Tue Oct 21 14:04:34 2003, davem wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 21, 2003 at 01:46:27PM -0700, Yitzchak Scott-Thoennes
> wrote:
> > On Tue, Oct 21, 2003 at 09:34:24PM +0100, Dave Mitchell
> <davem@fdgroup.com> wrote:
> > > In the medium-term, I want to remove the sub(){$x} feature from
> Perl,
> > > and also make constant.pm do it another way. Both are relatively
> easy to
> > > do (although in the longer term there may be even cleverer ways of
> doing
> > > it in constant.pm that would be harder to do but more efficient).
> > > However, in the short term (ie for 5.8.2), neither of these
> changes should
> > > happen (I'm not even sure if they should happen in any 5.8.x
> release).
> >
> > Given that we have a report of the feature breaking code as of
> 5.8.0,
> > it would be advisable to fix it in the end-of-yearish 5.8.x release.
>
> Perhaps, but its been broken for 1.5 years befor anyone noticed.
> During
> that time people may have added code that indadvertently uses the new
> behaviour and so would break if reverted.
>

> > > So the only real question for 5.8.2 is whether we want to add a
> > > deprecation warning for the feature we added (undocumented) in
> 5.8.0
> > > and which we intend to remove in 5.10.0 (conscensus permitting).
> >
> > The point of a warning seems more to me to be for when the coder
> didn't
> > want a constant that for when he/she did.
>
> i *think* that's what I was saying. Every time Perl does the strange
> 5.8.0-ish convertion to a constant, you would get the warning. Normal
> closures would be silent.

Discussion in this ticket petered out nine years ago.

Are there any code or documentation changes we should be considering
with respect to the issues raised?

If not, can we close the ticket?

Thank you very much.
Jim Keenan