Re: [perl #3561] bleedperl sfio fails op/sprintf.t

From:
Nicholas Clark
Date:
March 29, 2012 07:33
Re: [perl #3561] bleedperl sfio fails op/sprintf.t
Message ID:
20120329143338.GB9069@plum.flirble.org
Sorry for the delay in replying.

On Sat, Jul 24, 2010 at 09:00:04PM -0700, George Greer via RT wrote:
> On Fri Jul 21 04:48:47 2000, nicholas wrote:
> > I've build bleedperl (.patch says 6417) with sfio (sfio as supplied by
> > debian, appears to be sfio 1999, newer than sfio98 which was the most
> > recent I was aware of)

> Any tips on the Configure incantation to get Perl configured for sfio?
> I compiled sfio.2005-02-01.tgz without much incident (had to patch one
> header) but then with Configure I get:
>
> Checking for GNU cc in disguise and/or its version number...
> /tmp/cc8muxYC.o: In function `main':
> try.c:(.text+0x14): undefined reference to `_stdprintf'
>
> from ./Configure -des -Dusedevel -Duseperlio -Dusesfio
>
> Attempts to force 'ldflags' to include the library haven't worked either.

No, no good idea. But assuming sfio 2005 is from 2005, then the bug report
predates it, so it may be something changed in sfio 2005 that broke the
core's assumptions.

I think we'd roughly reached the decision that support for sfio as sideways
replacement for stdio hasn't worked for quite a long time, probably isn't
used by anyone any more (hence no bug reports), and not useful to fix.

Hence possibly this ticket should be rejected.

Nicholas Clark