NWCLARK TPF grant report #29

From:
Date:
March 29, 2012 05:53
Subject:

 2.25		cross compilation
=====
 2.25

2012/03/25	Sunday
 1.25		cross compilation
=====
 1.25

Which I calculate is 23.25 hours

The better part of the week was spent getting my head around the state of
cross compilation. Mostly this was figuring out the history and state of
various cross compilation approaches in the core codebase, to help Jess
Robinson refine a potential TPF grant application for cross compilation
(particularly to Android). At the time of writing most of this is still
groundwork (and intangible), such as studying her x-compile-android work at
https://github.com/castaway/perl and the various existing *nix
cross-compilation approaches in the core, but hopefully it should soon
materialise into the actual published grant application, approval, and then
visible code and progress. We think we can see an approach to take that has
a good chance of working out long term, by being as simple as possible
within the existing build setup.

I also diagnosed the likely cause of File::Glob failures we're seeing on
some HP-UX machines. It looks like another C compiler bug handling bool.
Pesky new fangled C99 and its complex new features. 12 years is clearly not
long enough for compiler writers to be sure to have all the bugs squished.

Nicholas Clark