Re: pop @INC (".")

From:
Jesse Luehrs
Date:
March 8, 2012 15:16
Re: pop @INC (".")
Message ID:
20120308231606.GN4502@tozt.net
On Thu, Mar 08, 2012 at 12:58:49PM -0800, Jan Dubois wrote:
> On Thu, 08 Mar 2012, David Golden wrote:
> > Let me answer your points in reverse order.
> >
> > > Does anyone besides me share my concern that putting "." in the path
> > > isn't always necessarily desirable?
> >
> > I agree that it's not always desirable, but I'm not convinced that
> > it's never desirable, either. Or rather, if undesirable, how/when
> > should it be removed from @INC. Optionally with "-T" or mandatory
> > enforcement by the interpreter?
>
> I find it always undesirable.  What I usually want is mylib.pm,
> and '.' in @INC does provide similar functionality while testing
> from inside the script directory:
>
>     http://search.cpan.org/dist/mylib/mylib.pm
>
> If I really wanted '.' in @INC, then -I. is a cheap commandline
> option, or "BEGIN { push @INC, '.' }" a trivial script addition.
>
> But as I already said, I never really want '.' in @INC, I either
> want $FindBin::RealBin, or the directory pushed by mylib.pm.
>
> So I think a Configure option to build perl without '.' in @INC
> would be fine (and core tests should be updated to accommodate that),
> but a forced -T does not feel right to me.

Well, "use t::Foo" is reasonably common in test scripts, but more
importantly, this would break installation of any dist that uses
Module::Install (which works by "use inc::Module::Install"). CPAN
clients (and possibly test harnesses) would need to be updated to add
'.' back in during module installation in order to avoid breaking
a significant portion of CPAN.

-doy