RE: pop @INC (".")

From:
Jan Dubois
Date:
March 8, 2012 12:58
RE: pop @INC (".")
Message ID:
00f801ccfd6e$430d3270$c9279750$@activestate.com
On Thu, 08 Mar 2012, David Golden wrote:
> Let me answer your points in reverse order.
>
> > Does anyone besides me share my concern that putting "." in the path
> > isn't always necessarily desirable?
>
> I agree that it's not always desirable, but I'm not convinced that
> it's never desirable, either. Or rather, if undesirable, how/when
> should it be removed from @INC. Optionally with "-T" or mandatory
> enforcement by the interpreter?

I find it always undesirable.  What I usually want is mylib.pm,
and '.' in @INC does provide similar functionality while testing
from inside the script directory:

    http://search.cpan.org/dist/mylib/mylib.pm

If I really wanted '.' in @INC, then -I. is a cheap commandline
option, or "BEGIN { push @INC, '.' }" a trivial script addition.

But as I already said, I never really want '.' in @INC, I either
want $FindBin::RealBin, or the directory pushed by mylib.pm.

So I think a Configure option to build perl without '.' in @INC
would be fine (and core tests should be updated to accommodate that),
but a forced -T does not feel right to me.

Cheers,
-Jan