develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from February 2012

Re: [perl #108470] Term::ReadLine should use AE instead of Tkforevent looping

From:
Leon Timmermans
Date:
February 2, 2012 07:27
Re: [perl #108470] Term::ReadLine should use AE instead of Tkforevent looping
Message ID:
CAHhgV8jtT+5kBBmxWERP0kEvDgwVNCJMg4=Koi56gV3XzF7eBg@mail.gmail.com
On Thu, Feb 2, 2012 at 2:21 AM, Marc Lehmann <schmorp@schmorp.de> wrote:
> So here are the facts:
>
> - AnyEvent supports IO::Async as backend for quite a while now, and still does so,
>  nothing has changed, no event library is being singled out in any way.
> - The required backend mechanics ("internals") for IO::Async::Loop::AnyEvent or
>  what it's called have been REMOVED around the same time as the error has
>  been added.
> - IO::Async can use e.g. AnyEvent::Loop to be compatible, which _has_
>  the required functionality.
> - I warned IO::Async's author long before on why his module will break
>  and why it is inevitable, and especially why it is a disservice to his
>  users, and how to fix it. I didn't receive a reaction.
> - POE contains similar code, and nobody complained for years.
>
> So the error is actually just that: an error indicating that the module
> will not work, because AnyEvent is NOT an event library and lacks the
> functionality (which was present in earlier versions).
>
> If there are newer versions of IO::Async::Loop::AnyEvent that happen to
> work (which would require some changes to IO::Async, which is an event
> library, so can't sit on top of anyevent and work at the same time), then
> it's easy to remove this check, or indeed override the check itself, after
> all, IO::Async::Loop::AnyEvent didn't shy back from hacking internals
> before, so nothing really changed.

What ever was discussed previously, it doesn't appear to have been
discussed in the open (in particular, the bugtracker of
IO::Async::Loop::AnyEvent remains empty). You assert it's evil, but
don't explain why it is. Why can't it work? You list facts, but the
ones that actually matters are still in the fog (how/when does it
break? How can that by fixed? Or why shouldn't it be?). The way you're
handling this is raising more questions than it answers and it gives
the general impression you don't *want* this to work. That is what
gets people pissed off.

> I am not the author of IO::Async::Loop::AnyEvent, and am not responsible
> for it when it breaks. Making me responsible is highly disingenious.

It's not just broken, you've actively forbidden other people from
trying to make it work. If all that was wrong was
IO::Async::Loop::AnyEvent being buggy, no one would have been mad at
you.

Regards,

Leon