develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from February 2012

Re: [perl #109408] Documentation that refers to Perl 5 as new

From:
Reini Urban
Date:
February 1, 2012 15:20
Re: [perl #109408] Documentation that refers to Perl 5 as new
Message ID:
CAHiT=DF0f=aRpkbj36+0qqT-hCutcoYqM27=N6kCW5_oWYPcaw@mail.gmail.com
On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 6:06 AM, Tom Christiansen <tchrist@perl.com> wrote:
> Leon Timmermans <fawaka@gmail.com> wrote
>   on Wed, 01 Feb 2012 12:46:09 +0100:
>
>> You have tables in your POD? We should have that in the core
>> POD toolchain too.
>
> Perhaps so.
>
>>> item *
>>>
>>> Perl methods are just methods, and they always receive their invocant as a
>>> bonus, initial argument. =C2=A0Perl as a language makes no distinction between
>>> object methods, class methods, or static methods in the Python sense of these tings.
>
>>Isn't the same true for Python? (No python expert here).
>
> Perl doesn't have or need a special staticmethod() constructor
> to make a method that doesn't get its invocant passed in.
>
> Python also has a classmethod(), which  makes a method work
> normally from our persepctive.  Normal object methods aren't such.

FYI: I summarized all 4 possible perl method calls (plus function calls) here:
http://blogs.perl.org/users/rurban/2011/06/how-perl-calls-subs-and-methods.html
--
Reini Urban
http://cpanel.net/   http://www.perl-compiler.org/