develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from February 2012

[perl #109542] $1 handled differently in integer arithmetics

From:
Father Chrysostomos via RT
Date:
February 1, 2012 13:39
Subject:
[perl #109542] $1 handled differently in integer arithmetics
Message ID:
rt-3.6.HEAD-14510-1328132345-753.109542-15-0@perl.org
On Wed Feb 01 13:01:39 2012, ams@toroid.org wrote:
> At 2012-02-01 12:35:00 -0800, perlbug-followup@perl.org wrote:
> >
> > But in the case of SvIV_please_nomg, we have already called magic (the
> > whole raison d’être for the _nomg variant), so there is no reason not
> > to treat SvPOKp as equivalent to SvPOK.
> >
> > Does that sound right?
>
> It sounds right in principle, but it's not clear to me how to translate
> that into a fix. In how many more places is that equivalence relevant,
> and where must we add "|| SvPOKp(sv)"s to let them all through? Doing
> it only in SvIV_please_nomg is insufficient. Or is there some easier
> way to do it? Comments gratefully received.

But how much other code is affected?  It is just the numeric ops?  It
looks as though this will require what I call a bug hunt: grepping for
instances and examining them for correctness.

--

Father Chrysostomos

---
via perlbug:  queue: perl5 status: open