develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from February 2012

Re: [perl #109408] Documentation that refers to Perl 5 as new

From:
David Mertens
Date:
February 1, 2012 06:53
Re: [perl #109408] Documentation that refers to Perl 5 as new
Message ID:
CA+4ieYW3dJuoAK5EtgOg8fhqXGPTwYp5LKXLDzoKFDMnL7a7nw@mail.gmail.com
On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 8:32 AM, Abigail <abigail@abigail.be> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 08:27:02PM -0700, Tom Christiansen wrote:
>
> > =item *
> >
> > Perl pattern matching uses Unicode rules for case-insensitivity, but
> Python
> > uses only ASCII casefolding rules, but Perl uses Unicode casefolding
> rules,
> > so (for example) all three Greek sigmas match case-insensitively in Perl.
>

> I cannot make head nor tails out of this sentence. It starts of with
> Perl's ability to do case insensitive Unicode matching, contrasts that
> with casefolding in Python, then contrast that with Unicode casefolding
> in Perl. Too many "but"s to my taste, and IMO, you should either mention
> casefolding three times, or case-insensitivity three times.
>

> > =item *
> >
> > Not all functions need be methods in Perl.
>

> "need to be"?

I tripped on this, too, but it's technically correct. By my third pass I
thought the stylistic flare quite nice.

David