develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from February 2012

Re: [perl #109408] Documentation that refers to Perl 5 as new

From:
Tom Christiansen
Date:
February 1, 2012 04:07
Re: [perl #109408] Documentation that refers to Perl 5 as new
Message ID:
19493.1328097993@chthon
Leon Timmermans <fawaka@gmail.com> wrote
   on Wed, 01 Feb 2012 12:46:09 +0100:

> You have tables in your POD? We should have that in the core
> POD toolchain too.

Perhaps so.

>> item *
>>
>> Perl methods are just methods, and they always receive their invocant as a
>> bonus, initial argument. =C2=A0Perl as a language makes no distinction between
>> object methods, class methods, or static methods in the Python sense of these tings.

>Isn't the same true for Python? (No python expert here).

Perl doesn't have or need a special staticmethod() constructor
to make a method that doesn't get its invocant passed in.

Python also has a classmethod(), which  makes a method work
normally from our persepctive.  Normal object methods aren't such.

--tom