Re: XS Typemap documentation and related changes

From:
Steffen Mueller
Date:
January 31, 2012 23:47
Re: XS Typemap documentation and related changes
Message ID:
4F28EE23.80506@cpan.org
Hi all,

The changes outlined below are now in blead. You know where to find me
for sending bombs.

On 01/30/2012 08:32 AM, Steffen Mueller wrote:
> Before the big feature freeze, I plan to merge (well,
> rebase-rebase-push) a moderately large set of changes to the XS and
> typemap documentation. I set out to document all undocumented and test
> all untested core typemaps a while ago and the aforementioned changeset
> is the result of that effort. Here's what I got:
>
> - Documented and tested several more typemaps.
>
> - Found two typemaps that apparently aren't used anywhere in core or on
> CPAN. Their purpose is undecipherable. I want to remove them from the
> core typemap. More on that below.

This not done yet, but it's a trivial change. I've laid the groundwork
in that the newest ExtUtils::ParseXS release on CPAN (dev release so
far!) comes with all the necessary tools. The
ExtUtils::Typemaps::Excommunicated module for these goners is ready for
upload to CPAN, too.

> - Moved typemap related documentation from perlxs.pod to a new document,
> perlxstypemap.pod, which goes into much more detail and contains a list
> of all core typemaps with their purpose (except for those that I haven't
> managed to cover yet). Very importantly, the documentation contains a
> list of Perl variables that are useful for interpolation into typemaps,
> courtesy of Tony Cook.

Included.

> At the same time, I continuously applied changes to
> dist/ExtUtils-ParseXS in blead to add better facilities for typemap
> reuse. This means that it's now rather easy to share typemaps between
> CPAN modules. I've wanted to do this for some time now, but my plan to
> rid us of some of the WTF typemaps above has made that a necessity.
> Here's the plan for getting rid of them:
>
> - I release ExtUtils::Typemaps::Excommunicated to the CPAN that contains
> T_DATAUNIT and T_CALLBACK (the latter does not do what you think it does).

Will do after the next stable ExtUtils::ParseXS release (which happens
whenever I get to it).

[...]

> I see no good way to have a proper deprecation cycle for these typemaps
> that isn't at least as invasive (adding a mandatory warning to the
> generated code would be as obnoxious, IMO). Let me say again: Not found
> on CPAN. Bizarre code that seems to have served a very specific purpose
> lost in the midst of time.
>
> This changeset is now a smoke-me branch as
> smoke-me/smueller-typemapdocs7. Please speak up if you oppose to any of
> the above.

Too late to prevent me pushing this.

--Steffen