Re: [perl #109408] Documentation that refers to Perl 5 as new

From:
Ricardo Signes
Date:
January 30, 2012 15:40
Re: [perl #109408] Documentation that refers to Perl 5 as new
Message ID:
20120130234038.GC13451@cancer.codesimply.com
* Nicholas Clark <perlbug-followup@perl.org> [2012-01-30T12:31:24]
> There are several places in the core Perl documentation that happily announce
> that something is new. New in 5.004. Even new in Perl 5.
>
> Perl 5 is not new. 5.004 is not new. I suggest that we have a policy on
> what "new" is, document it, and then check the documentation to rephrase
> away the old new.

Specifically, I think what we want to address is "if a feature is newer than X,
the version in which it was introduced should be mentioned."  So, we don't need
to say "this is new" but "as of v5.18.0, ..." until we reach a point where we
assume "everyone" is on at least v5.18.0.

> For starters, I think that this section near the top of perlfunc.pod should
> go:

Agreed.

--
rjbs