Re: [perl #108470] Term::ReadLine should use AE instead of Tk forevent looping

From:
Aristotle Pagaltzis
Date:
January 30, 2012 12:22
Re: [perl #108470] Term::ReadLine should use AE instead of Tk forevent looping
Message ID:
20120130202159.GS20306@fernweh.plasmasturm.org
* Matt S Trout <mst@shadowcat.co.uk> [2012-01-30 19:30]:
> So far as I can tell, ReadLine simply wants to know when a filehandle
> is readable.
>
> So rather than adding yet another hard-coded piece of loop support
> (and one that as noted in my other message is unusable in some
> environments), perhaps we could simply add a callback interface - i.e.
>
>   my $ae_cb = sub {
>     my $cv = AE::cv;
>     AE::io($_[0]->in, 0, sub { $cv->send });
>     $cv->recv;
>   };
>   Term::ReadLine->new(..., read_callback => $ae_cb);
>
> Then we can document the AnyEvent way as an example, users of other
> event loops can do the same, and everybody gets what they want without
> introducing explicit core support for a module that's ...
> controvertial, at best.

Beautiful.