Re: [perl #108470] Term::ReadLine should use AE instead of Tk forevent looping

From:
Matt S Trout
Date:
January 30, 2012 10:10
Re: [perl #108470] Term::ReadLine should use AE instead of Tk forevent looping
Message ID:
20120130181024.GX19118@agaton.scsys.co.uk
> That's a bit another problem.
> Let's look: I'm a user of AE and IO::Async. I don't know about possible
> problems when I will use them together.
> So, from point of user I rather say thanks to Marc for warning me (maybe in
> a too strict way: warn would be enough), than to Paul for anyevent brokage
> (possible) without warning.

From the point of view of somebody who -was- an active production user of
both, this isn't what happened.

In fact, IO::Async::Loop::AnyEvent was written to -avoid- problems.

I had a significant sized AnyEvent application. Since it was already running
reliably on its existing Impl, I did not want to have to switch it to
using AnyEvent::Impl::IOAsync (which still works imperfectly, but I don't
have good repro cases for the problems I encountered and now never will,
for reasons to be explained).

Thus, in order to use an IO::Async component within this process, I was able
to load IO::Async::Loop::AnyEvent, thereby localising any problems to the
new code, and allowing me to deploy the results to production with
confidence.

Then an AnyEvent upgrade killed it.

My client's answer to this was to ban all future use of AnyEvent within
their codebase and to authorise a rewrite of the relevant daemon to a pure
IO::Async system, since they were unwilling to risk that they would again
suffer from a situation where Marc intentionally destroyed perfectly working
production code over a personal philosophical difference.

As such, I'm unlikely to ever find out why Impl::IOAsync doesn't work for
that code and I am, on the whole, comfortable with this fact.

http://shadowcat.co.uk/blog/matt-s-trout/   http://twitter.com/shadowcat_mst/

Email me now on mst (at) shadowcat.co.uk and let's chat about how our Catalyst