Re: perl's memory model on win32 and msvcrt.dll dependency

From:
Tony Cook
Date:
January 29, 2012 15:24
Re: perl's memory model on win32 and msvcrt.dll dependency
Message ID:
20120129232400.GA11124@mars.tony.develop-help.com
On Sun, Jan 29, 2012 at 12:06:39AM -0500, bulk 88 wrote:

> I've been looking at Perl's source and wondered, how come in vmem.h there is a dependency on msvcrt.dll  (former VC 6 but now the "private" Windows CRT) http://perl5.git.perl.org/perl.git/blob/HEAD:/win32/vmem.h#l142 and not the actual Visual C CRT that came with the compiler your using? This results in 2 CRTs being loaded by perlXXX.dll always.
>
> Next issue, why does Vmem.h exist and why is it used on Windows? Why not use HeapCreate and friends for the "cleaning up ithreads leaking" system? Why go through C lib's memory allocator? are MS CRTs better than HeapAlloc?

I believe it's at least partly to allow building extensions with gcc
when perl itself has been built with MSVC.

Jan would know better.

Tony