Re: perl's memory model on win32 and msvcrt.dll dependency

From:
demerphq
Date:
January 29, 2012 01:13
Re: perl's memory model on win32 and msvcrt.dll dependency
Message ID:
CANgJU+Wcbp94K1P+9r3onsr8yZdRcWMzP9YNuSGaFw2GOHomhQ@mail.gmail.com
On 29 January 2012 06:06, bulk 88 <bulk88@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I've been looking at Perl's source and wondered, how come in vmem.h there is a dependency on msvcrt.dll  (former VC 6 but now the "private" Windows CRT) http://perl5.git.perl.org/perl.git/blob/HEAD:/win32/vmem.h#l142 and not the actual Visual C CRT that came with the compiler your using? This results in 2 CRTs being loaded by perlXXX.dll always.
>
> Next issue, why does Vmem.h exist and why is it used on Windows? Why not use HeapCreate and friends for the "cleaning up ithreads leaking" system? Why go through C lib's memory allocator? are MS CRTs better than HeapAlloc?

Not to be glib, but the answer is probably we dont have that many
Win32 Perl hackers and they tend to be busy.

If you have the chops and time to help out then you and your skills
would be very welcome.

Yves