Re: Detecting duplicate extension directories

From:
David Golden
Date:
January 27, 2012 08:19
Re: Detecting duplicate extension directories
Message ID:
CAOeq1c_ZSj0+7+PQyykUCsPVeFoGpZyfHeP7t_-NvSq+_ZS9+A@mail.gmail.com
> I don't agree. We support building outside of git repositories, because
>
> a: we distribute tarballs
> b: we build on platforms that don't support git

I agree.  I'll quote your original message back to you:

> This isn't a problem when building from a distribution tarball or
> other clean checkout, but it is causing "fun" (ie strange noisy catastrophic
> build failures) when anyone runs git pull on a build checkout, and then
> runs disclean before starting again.

> We can't assume that
>
> a: git is present to do our work for us
>
> b: that we can get it to delete all the build files, without also deleting
>   user owned files. distclean is careful to only delete the things that we
>   know we built.

Per your identification of the problem, we can assume (a).  Regarding
(b), I don't think we have to automate a solution, only tell the user
that they're doing it wrong.

> I've just presented a *working solution* to a current problem.
> Even if we adopt your plan, it will do as an interim solution until your
> plan delivers a solution.

I'm suggesting an alternative approach I think is better.  Just
because I suggest an alternative doesn't mean you couldn't/shouldn't
go forward with the change you've proposed.

-- David