Re: trimmed-down perl for downstream packagers

From:
demerphq
Date:
January 26, 2012 07:07
Re: trimmed-down perl for downstream packagers
Message ID:
CANgJU+UiS3FRO6-sa8H6X37vk5z1osGMup3uXyq=fpwiHigwNg@mail.gmail.com
On 26 January 2012 02:01, Ricardo Signes <perl.p5p@rjbs.manxome.org> wrote:

> Downstream vendors and packages are awesome.  They are the reason why I can run
> "perl -pi -e" on just about any computer I've had to use in the last ten years,
> saving me heartache and pain.
>
> Sometimes, they do things that make me sigh, but it's a sigh of very minor
> disappointment.  My dear friend has brought me the tuna sandwich I asked for,
> and the fries, and the soda, but forgot that I wanted extra onions.  Oh well.
>
> Everybody agrees that mistakes are made, and that if fewer mistakes are going
> to be made, we better get to work providing guidance on doing things the way
> we'd like to see them get done.  That means figuring out what downstream is
> trying to accomplish and what their constraints are, and then giving our advice
> on what will get them that in a way that will lead to the minimum numbers of
> disappointed sighs on all fronts, in the future.
>
> Ideally, we'll be able to give advice that just about every downstream packager
> can get behind, and everyone will know what "perl-core" or "perl-std" or
> "perl-dev" packages guarantee in any environment.  We're not going to be able
> to do that unless we listen to what downstream needs, and they're not going to
> listen if we keep complaining about the great disservice they're doing us.
> Downstream packagers are our friends.

Since I am probably responsible for some of the perception in this
regard due to my use of "WTF" in the subject line, id just like to
clarify that my WTF was NOT about someone doing it wrong, it was about
us, the p5p community, not providing the guidance which would have
lead to them avoiding or working or around the thing that I think they
did wrong.

I understand and regret that my poor choice of words may have given a
different impression.

I do very much appreciate re-distributors, and was not trying to make
them feel bad, or unappreciated.

cheers,
Yves