trimmed-down perl for downstream packagers

From:
Ricardo Signes
Date:
January 25, 2012 17:02
Subject:
trimmed-down perl for downstream packagers
Message ID:
20120126010154.GC17657@cancer.codesimply.com

Downstream vendors and packages are awesome.  They are the reason why I can run
"perl -pi -e" on just about any computer I've had to use in the last ten years,
saving me heartache and pain.

Sometimes, they do things that make me sigh, but it's a sigh of very minor
disappointment.  My dear friend has brought me the tuna sandwich I asked for,
and the fries, and the soda, but forgot that I wanted extra onions.  Oh well.

Everybody agrees that mistakes are made, and that if fewer mistakes are going
to be made, we better get to work providing guidance on doing things the way
we'd like to see them get done.  That means figuring out what downstream is
trying to accomplish and what their constraints are, and then giving our advice
on what will get them that in a way that will lead to the minimum numbers of
disappointed sighs on all fronts, in the future.

Ideally, we'll be able to give advice that just about every downstream packager
can get behind, and everyone will know what "perl-core" or "perl-std" or
"perl-dev" packages guarantee in any environment.  We're not going to be able
to do that unless we listen to what downstream needs, and they're not going to
listen if we keep complaining about the great disservice they're doing us.
Downstream packagers are our friends.

--
rjbs