Installing gzip'd POD files?

From:
Steffen Mueller
Date:
January 24, 2012 23:36
Subject:
Installing gzip'd POD files?
Message ID:
4F1FB104.1070808@cpan.org
Dear porters,

in the wake of the cut-down-perl discussion, I've wondered how hard and
how beneficial it would be to optionally install .pod documents as
.pod.gz and to teach perldoc (and what else?) to handle that
transparently. We'd probably break a few things expecting to be able to
do glob($LIBDIR/pod/*.pod), but that seems and acceptable tradeoff.

Of course, this doesn't reduce .rpm/.deb package size.

Best regards,
Steffen