Re: [perl #108470] Term::ReadLine should use AE instead of Tk forevent looping

From:
demerphq
Date:
January 20, 2012 04:16
Re: [perl #108470] Term::ReadLine should use AE instead of Tk forevent looping
Message ID:
CANgJU+XEFMuHYKOCzfyfNhsqTm95RaRoZmqsj8TVnpw_N4emEg@mail.gmail.com
On 19 January 2012 18:32, demerphq <demerphq@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 19 January 2012 18:08, Vladimir V. Perepelitsa <inthrax@gmail.com> wrote:
>> If I know, that something on CPAN will not work, or will work badly with my
>> module I prefer to protect from such interaction.
>
> If that is your attitude you should hide your code away and make sure
> that anyone that uses it signs a contract about terms of use. But that
> also means it doesn't belong on CPAN and isn't really what I would
> call "free software". AnyEvent is released under the same terms as
> Perl itself. Therefore it is "free software". Therefore anyone can
> take the code and do pretty much whatever they want to it. But they
> can't do the same with the version on CPAN, doesn't that strike you as
> being the antithesis of "free software"?

I thought about this a lot last night, and I call bullshit on myself.

The code is forkable as it is released under the PAL.

If people don't like the restriction they can fork it.

I still think such a restriction is a pretty anti-social thing to do,
but it has nothing to do with whether the software is free or not.

My apologies for ranting.

cheers,
Yves