Re: [perl #108470] Term::ReadLine should use AE instead of Tk forevent looping

From:
demerphq
Date:
January 19, 2012 04:01
Re: [perl #108470] Term::ReadLine should use AE instead of Tk forevent looping
Message ID:
CANgJU+WeWFmHU3jDGYSnG3hqzze1X3PYRQ_oVLy2HzN8qGwq8w@mail.gmail.com
On 18 January 2012 21:52, Rocco Caputo <rcaputo@pobox.com> wrote:
> On Jan 18, 2012, at 10:39, Nicholas Clark wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 07:27:35AM -0700, Darin McBride wrote:
>>
>>> The existing API isn't changed, but my answer to that is that AE is both more
>>> modern (not sufficient by itself) and more generic.  The point of AE seems to be
>>> to support any event model you might need, including Tk.
>>
>> And more portable?
>>
>> Or less portable?
>>
>> Given the author in question, and his preferences for how he spends his time
>> and where the cost/benefit of work arounds tips, I know which I'm going to
>> bet on.
>

> Interoperability requires cooperation from the author, and he's been known to break it for modules he doesn't like.  Ask Paul Evans and/or Matt Trout about this:
>
> https://metacpan.org/source/MLEHMANN/AnyEvent-6.13/lib/AnyEvent.pm#L1396

Wow.

IMO the author of IO::Async::Loop::AnyEvent should just redefine
AnyEvent::detect() to bypass this monstrosity.

But if they do are we going to see an arms race over what modules you
allowed to use with other modules?!

I consider the piece of code you pointed out to most unperlish, and an
affront to the community and the spirit of CPAN.

IMO AnyEvent should be removed from CPAN until this code is removed,
it seems inappropriate for CPAN to host code that forbids you from
using something else on CPAN.

Yves