Re: [perl #108470] Term::ReadLine should use AE instead of Tk for event looping

From:
Darin McBride
Date:
January 18, 2012 15:21
Re: [perl #108470] Term::ReadLine should use AE instead of Tk for event looping
Message ID:
2107652.OVgcAo9Yti@naboo
On Wednesday January 18 2012 12:53:07 PM you wrote:
> Interoperability requires cooperation from the author, and he's been known
> to break it for modules he doesn't like.

We have more than one developer in our community who has issues with their
attitude.  Without speaking a personal opinion on whether AE's author is one
or not, or outing myself, I don't see this as a barrier: today, T::RL supports
one event loop.  With this patch, it will support *most* event loops available
in Perl.  And any that aren't supported could potentially be added to AE
without having to maintain T::RL's event support, benefiting not just T::RL,
but any other AE-based module.

So, I suppose before we stray entirely off-topic, is it the opinion of someone
willing to commit this or a similar patch to T::RL that all that is missing is
some useful unit tests, or are there other, more basic issues that need to be
resolved?

Also, do the tests need to conform to core-modules-only (plus AE and Tk), or
can they be skippable tests that use other modules?  (Coro may make testing
this much easier, for example, I'm not sure yet.)