porters wanted: building, testing, patching on z/OS

From:
Ricardo Signes
Date:
January 18, 2012 08:43
porters wanted: building, testing, patching on z/OS
Message ID:
20120118164334.GB32451@cancer.codesimply.com

In September, we were talking about dropping EBCDIC support in the future:

  http://markmail.org/message/jjtloaarncwlsdwa

One of the things that came up was that, absent direct support from anyone
providing perl on a EBCDIC platform, it would be up to kind volunteers to
maintain that port.

Shockingly, nobody seems to have a z/OS machine on which to do development.
I'm hoping that access to such a machine can be finagled.

Assuming it can, and we can provide a box suitable for login, build, and test,
who can be counted on to champion these fixes?  We'd be looking for someone who
can:

  a. figure out how 5.15.x stands, now
  b. try to make sure it passes its tests
  c. try to figure out where EBCDIC is broken but untested
  d. fix it
  e. run a monthly iteration of testing around each 5.odd.x release

You'd be offering your time doing this work in exchange for the resources on
which to do it -- so volunteering lightly and not following through will not be
a great deal for anyone.

So!  Who wants a chance to give this port the kiss of life?

--
rjbs