Release Changes: Awesome

From:
David E . Wheeler
Date:
January 17, 2012 10:26
Release Changes: Awesome
Message ID:
ACC7D77F-B06D-4142-BCDD-F641C380B72C@justatheory.com
Porters,

I had reason to go back today and re-read this blog post I wrote in July, 2009 today:

  http://justatheory.com/computers/databases/postgresql/perl/pg-vs-perl-dev.html

I just want to say I am very pleasantly shocked that pretty much all of the changes I wished to see in Perl development, maintenance, and release management pretty much happened within the 12-18 months after I wrote it. That’s just…astounding. Given the history of this project, I really hadn’t expected much to change. I can’t stress enough how pleased I am that, for the most part, things did change, all for the better. We now have regular major and maintenance releases that are predictable and awesome, as well as an actual support policy. As a result, Perl 5 looks awesomely active, reliably stable, and pushing forward with regular new features.

Thanks to Jesse and everyone else who shepherded in this change, and making it a reality. I firmly believe the software and the project are better for it.

Best,

David