Re: typemap documentation

From:
Nicholas Clark
Date:
January 16, 2012 09:21
Re: typemap documentation
Message ID:
20120116172111.GC9069@plum.flirble.org
On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 08:45:43AM +0100, Steffen Mueller wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> would anybody oppose if I tried to get the existing documentation on the
> core typemaps updated and into a manpage like perlxstypemap or so (with
> the appropriate pointers from perlxs)? We have quite a bit of docs on

You make it awkward for me to not object. Although, arguably this is
sensible on your part, as you assume that silence is approval, and this way
you can be confident to get hundreds of subscribers to the list approving
your idea :-)

> many typemaps in XS-Typemap's Typemap.xs. The sole purpose of that
> module seems to test the typemaps. I don't believe XS::Typemap is
> installed at all and thus the docs aren't available to end-users easily.

Neither it nor its documentation is installed.

On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 05:52:28PM +0100, Steffen Mueller wrote:

> 3) Implement whatever to make sure we get perlxstypemaps.pod and man.

I believe now that all is needed for plain files that contain Pod, is to
add the correct data into pod/perl.pod and then run perl Porting/pod_rules.pl
to regenerate things.

For files in pod/ "correct data" is just the line in the table of
contents. For pods outside of pod/ (so far, only dual life Pods), you also
need to add a "path" line in the bit between =begin buildtoc and
=end buildtoc

> I could use help with all three of these and particularly part 1) is
> easily parallelizable!

I doubt I have time for anything other than moral support.

Nicholas Clark