[perl #38817] Segment fault when using 'Sockets'.

From:
James E Keenan via RT
Date:
January 12, 2012 16:53
Subject:
[perl #38817] Segment fault when using 'Sockets'.
Message ID:
rt-3.6.HEAD-14510-1326416012-1971.38817-15-0@perl.org
On Thu Mar 30 16:45:06 2006, jclark wrote:
> Perl is emitting a 'segment fault' when exiting out of a program. The
> taret enviornment is a i586
> platform. Perl has been cross compiled for this target, as the target
> is
> using the uClibc libraries
> rather than the glibc. The underlying OS is linux 2.6.14.
>

> I have reduced the program down to the following:

This ticket has not received a response since it was originally filed
six years ago, perhaps because the strace in the original post was large
enough to trigger one of those annoying "message body too large" links
on RT.

I am attaching the OP's program, updated only to make it run under
strictures.

I tried this program out on Linux/i386 and Darwin/PPC, both with Perl
5.14.(various) and reproduced the OP's error.

#####
$ perl 38817.pl
cannot connect to port 2004 at 127.0.0.1
#####

I then tried running the program through the debugger.  It appears the
error is triggered at this part of IO::Socket::INET::configure():

#####
IO::Socket::INET::configure(/usr/local/lib/perl5/5.14.2/darwin-2level/IO/Socket/INET.pm:237):
237:            return _error($sock, $!, $@ || "Timeout")
238:                unless @raddr;
#####

The implication these failures is that neither the targeting of uClibc
libraries nor the cross-compiling is germane to the failure.

Any ideas?

Thank you very much.
Jim Keenan

---