[perl #5956] Perl_warner isn't utf8 aware

From:
Father Chrysostomos via RT
Date:
January 11, 2012 09:58
Subject:
[perl #5956] Perl_warner isn't utf8 aware
Message ID:
rt-3.6.HEAD-14510-1326304697-1951.5956-15-0@perl.org
On Sat Dec 07 14:31:20 2002, nick@unfortu.net wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 07, 2002 at 06:16:52PM -0000, Jarkko Hietaniemi wrote:
> > The original difference between the warning being there or not has
> > been resolved in Perl 5.8.0-- one gets
> > Argument "\x{f0}" isn't numeric in negation (-) at -e line 1.
> > in both cases.
> > As regards to the Perl_warner not being utf8-aware, I don't know,
> > is there a problem?  I think if the STDOUT is UTF-8 aware, we can
> > just spit out UTF-8?
> > So I'm marking the problem ticket as resolved.
>
> The prototype is:
>
> void
> Perl_warn(pTHX_ const char *pat, ...)
>
> How does it know whether the 8 bit values I'm passing are utf8, or latin 1
> bytes that also happen to represent a valid utf8 sequence?

I don’t know when it was added, but we have SVf for precisely this.  In
5.15.4, almost all error messages with symbol names were changed to use
SVf or the new HEKf instead of %s, so I think this ticket can be resolved.

--

Father Chrysostomos

---
via perlbug:  queue: perl5 status: open