[perl #107866] installhtml is unacceptably slow

From:
Nicholas Clark
Date:
January 10, 2012 08:39
Subject:
[perl #107866] installhtml is unacceptably slow
Message ID:
rt-3.6.HEAD-14510-1326213549-443.107866-75-0@perl.org
# New Ticket Created by  Nicholas Clark
# Please include the string:  [perl #107866]

./installhtml is now unacceptably slow.

Whilst the target install.html is marked as "experimental" on Unix*, it
seems that installhtml is part of the regular install target in the Win32
makefiles, so will be common.

On a fast Unix system, installhtml as of perl 5.14.0 was tolerable. (About as
annoying as installman)

On the same system, installman in smoke-me/installhtml (blead is broken)
took 36 minutes.

This may be due to the removal of a caching layer in pod2html.
Whatever the cause, it really needs investigation and mitigation prior
to perl 5.16.0

Nicholas Clark

* and has been I think for a decade. Technical debt - yes, got that.
  Few things get finished. At some point it *is* going to be cheaper to
  "go bust" as a side effect of starting again.