[perl #55158] Hash subscript documentation

From:
James E Keenan via RT
Date:
January 6, 2012 19:42
Subject:
[perl #55158] Hash subscript documentation
Message ID:
rt-3.6.HEAD-14510-1325907771-1502.55158-15-0@perl.org
On Sun Jun 01 05:18:22 2008, iang wrote:
> This is a bug report for perl from Ian.Goodacre@xtra.co.nz,
> generated with the help of perlbug 1.35 running under perl v5.8.8.

> Dear Perl Maintainers,
>
> Please consider changing perldata.pod to provide a little more
> information about hash subscripts. I suggest the following, but
> please note that I don't know Perl very well and may have made
> some mistakes.

Since the patch was submitted inline when the ticket was originally
filed, it perhaps did not get the evaluation it deserved.  (The ticket
was filed over three years ago but still had status "new" as of tonight.)

I am attaching the patch applied to what I believe is the current
location in pod/perldata.pod intended by the original poster.

> The reference to the subscript separator and the perlvar documentation
> would have saved me a lot of time and confusion, and perhaps it would
> benefit others like me in the future. I added the bit about references
> because while I was searching for the explanation of what was going on
> with the lists I kept encountering queries from people who didn't
> understand what was happening. If there is a FAQ entry on the issue,
> and in particular the issue of not being able to use the string
> representation of a reference as a reference, adding a pointer to it
> would be even better.
>
> Kind regards,
> Ian Goodacre

Please review the patch for both accuracy and usefulness.

Thank you very much.
Jim Keenan

---
via perlbug:  queue: perl5 status: new