develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from December 2011

Removing PerlIO::mmap from being core internal?

From:
Leon Timmermans
Date:
December 27, 2011 05:22
Removing PerlIO::mmap from being core internal?
Message ID:
CAHhgV8jZwOeXkmx_R4GwKJi97_mEw1jQkQ=VcahuHn0A2SNZXQ@mail.gmail.com
Currently, one of the PerlIO layers internal to core is :mmap. It is
documented (per perliol) as «it is mainly there as a proof of concept.
It is likely to be unbundled from the core at some point». There are
three things we can do with it, each depending on the ones above it:

1. We can move it from core-internal to a core module. The only
visible consequence of that is that (like :encoding) it's no longer
possible to run «PERLIO=mmap ./foo.pl». I don't think that's a
particularly sane thing to do anyway (it surprises me only one test
segfaults when trying to run core tests with PERLIO=mmap). Obvious
consequence is making the core slightly smaller and simpler.
2. We can then dual-life it. I can't see any reason not to do this.
3. We could deprecate it and later remove it from core. This obviously
is user visible, though only one module on CPAN seems to be are
currently using it.

Quite frankly I see no convincing reason not to do 1 & 2. I don't care
much about 3, but if we ever are going to do a major sweep of core
modules it should be an obvious candidate.

Leon