develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from November 2011

RE: Autoloading charnames

From:
vadim.konovalov
Date:
November 24, 2011 00:40
RE: Autoloading charnames
Message ID:
35BF8D9716175C43BB9D67CA60CC345E2E028122@FRMRSSXCHMBSC2.dc-m.alcatel-lucent.com
> From: Karl Williamson [mailto:public@khwilliamson.com]

> It has been proposed that charnames automatically load when a \N{} is
> seen.  That is easy to do, and I think it should load as if the :full
> and :short options had both been specified.
>
> Does anyone disagree with doing this?

I see 2 problems,

1) as everyone knows "threading" should make "use" under better control - namely after threads creation.
How this will be handled?

2) PAR packer already generates huge executables (compared to e.g 5.6) because it happens now to load Math::BigInt everytime, due to some unfortunate dependency on some $^O.
Under new circumstances, the problem will be even worse.

Maybe there are more.

I, personally, very much like for modules usage to be under better control, i.e. load what I demand.

I think instead of loading of something when \N{} is seen would be a proper advice from warning system ("you probably need to do "use charnames::blabla" module")

Regards,
Vadim.