Re: Many, many given bugs

From:
Klaus
Date:
October 26, 2011 04:54
Re: Many, many given bugs
Message ID:
b961be1d-81df-41a8-8dd1-35ed76217d1e@n38g2000yqm.googlegroups.com
On 25 oct, 17:39, je...@fsck.com (Jesse Vincent) wrote:
> > > My question is quite simple: is there any progress made on this topic
> > > since 30 may 2011 ?
>
> > No, not really.  Nobody can agree on what smartmatch is meant/intended
> > to do, which to me signals a design flaw to begin with.  Did the
> > original implementor know what he intended it to do?
>
> I'd argue that yes, there is some progress. Jesse Luehrs did an initial
> pass at extracting smartmatch into a module and then implementing a
> "less-smart" smartmatch designed by rjbs that could be swapped out
> lexically.
>
> I believe the right next step in the directioon of improving things
> is to figure out how to get Jesse's extraction of the core smartmatch
> implementation into core as a module.
>
> The other big bit of progress (as mentioned by others) is that we've
> actually come to grips with how horribly broken the feature is and
> how much work it's going to be to unwind it to do it right.

I agree, it is much work to do smartmatching right.

Is there any intention by Jesse Luehrs to make his implementation of
the "less-smart" smartmatch module available to perl5.porters (maybe
even to CPAN ?) early in the game so that it can be discussed before
it is made into a core module (or is it better to let Jesse Luehrs
write his module without interference ?)