Re: For Jesse: What is the desired behavior of UNIVERSAL::VERSION(Related to perl #95544)

From:
John Peacock
Date:
October 21, 2011 03:42
Re: For Jesse: What is the desired behavior of UNIVERSAL::VERSION(Related to perl #95544)
Message ID:
4EA14C88.1010207@havurah-software.org
On 09/26/2011 06:44 AM, David Golden wrote:
> Thank you.  I wasn't sure how close you were monitoring threads.
>
> Slight correction to what I wrote: the "lax" restriction on version
> numbers provided to version->new() was introduced in 5.12, not 5.14.

Jesse, et al -

I plan on releasing version 0.95 to CPAN this weekend, restoring the
UNIVERSAL::VERSION behaviour that shipped with Perl v5.10 - v5.14.  I
will do whatever you decide to do with regards to Perl v5.16 (which may
be only changing the fatal error to be a warning), but I feel strongly
that the CPAN release must behave as much as possible like the core
version code (for compatibility).  This change was not fixing a bug; it
was making a core behaviour change that I think was a bad choice.

Seeing that no one complained about the "lax" errors for years, I think
this is the correct thing to do.  It was a gross lapse of judgement on
my part to make that change without due diligence.  Mea culpa.  I hope
you agree that having $class->VERSION return exactly the same value as
$class::VERSION is a waste of the ability of the version object code to
provide a consistent interface to equivalent but very different
underlying representations.

John