RE: file enhancement request for Windows Vista and later (symboliclink support in perl)

From:
Kees Dekker
Date:
October 20, 2011 03:27
RE: file enhancement request for Windows Vista and later (symboliclink support in perl)
Message ID:
45282936A11F374E9592C1F4C7AB9AFE32AB3E1005@NLBAWEXMB4.infor.com
Hi,

I did not get a reply of the perlbug-admin@perl.org<mailto:perlbug-admin@perl.org>, so I'm forwarding this to perl5-porters (although I'm not sure whether this is the right way to file an enhancement request).

Regards,
Kees

From: Kees Dekker
Sent: Wednesday, 21 September, 2011 15:59
To: 'perlbug-admin@perl.org'
Subject: file enhancement request

Hi,

How can I file enhancement requests to perl 5? I did not find a procedure on https://rt.perl.org/perlbug/ to file new functionality.

Actually: I would like that perl provides support for Windows (Vista and up) symlinks (see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTFS_symbolic_link).

At this time, neither symlink() works, nor the -l file operator works on links created with mklink. As a result, using opendir/unlink etc handles these links as if as it were regular files. In case of deletion, this will remove the file or directory at the place where the symlink points to rather than the symlink itself.

Met vriendelijke groet/Best regards,
Kees Dekker | principal software engineer, ERP LN Development | Infor |
Baron van Nagellstraat 89 | 3771 LK Barneveld | Phone +31 (0)342 428706 | Fax +31 (0)342 428796 | E-mail kees.dekker@infor.com